Thursday, September 24, 2009

Between the Nerd n the Hustler

Someone read my blog and asked what I think about alternative journalism ventures such as Singanews or other online news portals. I told him I was a loner in school, you could either hang out with the nerdy kids (and I mean like serious nerds) and bore yourself out or create havoc with the hustlers and Ah Bengs...there weren't like simple cool kids, at least in my school there was a serious lack of it.

The mainstream media and (some of the) online so-called news website have that same dichotomy. Needless to say, MSM are the nerds! Hah. You just need to switch on Taiwanese news to understand what is really journalism. On the other hand, some of the online news website just go off on their on tangent and have their own agenda - not that having an agenda is wrong but it's just so annoying when one tints every article with that same bias viewpoint.

So I guess more opinions are good, the Spore market is small but hey, what's another online news portal. Anyway, that what internet and blogging is about - connecting and informing people.

TOC has posted Thio Li-ann's speech at the New Media Breakfast, while I don't agree with everything that she said, she did made some good points. Maybe that's fodder for the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I just think that other news portals might think that Singanews is competition, and it's not surprising cause' they have many experienced journalists and professionals in their outfit. Just 2c worth.

    Raymond

    ReplyDelete